Thursday, May 22, 2008

Carrying Crosses with Joy

Well, I found out that lessons from Mr. Jorlett cost $30 for half an hour. Not surprising, considering he's world class. But $30 is too expensive for my family, so I can't have lessons from him. I haven't had many disappointments in my life, I'm generally not very sad ever, but this was a big disappointment. I mean, this is probably the only chance I'll ever get in my life to take lessons from a world class director. It's already amazing that he came to Trinity, but it would have been so cool if I could take voice lessons from him. I read a chapter each night of a book Stephanie (my sister) gave me for my confirmation called "The Imitation of Mary". I few nights ago, the chapter talked about carrying your crosses with joy, because, how can you hate something that God has sent? How can you say, "God, take this cross off my shoulders and don't send me anymore troubles." We should love our crosses that God sends us, which is really hard to do sometimes. Not getting voice lessons from Dr. J is one of my crosses. It is small, compared to many crosses other people have to bear, but I want to really try to carry it with joy. I'm never very joyful to begin with, I am a bit of a pessimist, so it's not going to be easy. I think that carrying a cross with joy is a cross in itself, because what I want to do is moan and complain and feel sorry for myself. But I have decided to at least try.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You're right about carrying our crosses with joy, for sure. Also take this verse into consideration:
"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."
I don't know if you'll find the same consolation in it that I have more than once, but the first time I found it, it was really a light to me, because it was right after something that had come as a huge disappointment. Good luck with finding another vocal teacher, and remember to be joyful in whatever God may send! :)